Sunday, October 5, 2008

Teaching, Learning, and Exploring


Buenas! I know it has been awhile since my last post, but the days just seem to fly by before I realize I need to update everyone! I am now teaching full time which I love. It takes a lot of planning and a lot of energy, but everyday I go home knowing that I am right where I am supposed to be. It's a good feeling. Teaching is certainly rewarding, too....I have received a number of gifts from students including stamps and ink, post- it pads, cinnamon bread, cookies, and (my favorite) M & M's! These things make me happy. :)

Oh the countless stories I could tell you. Little 1st graders certainly keep life entertaining. The other day a boy came back to school after being out sick. He walked into the room and I welcomed him back and asked him how he was feeling. He looked at me and said, "Not great. I think I might throw up." He exaggerates a lot, though, so I just nodded and joked, "Well, you better run to the bathroom if you have to." So an hour later we are finishing up snack and I happened to be standing right in front of him. He gagged then put his hands over his mouth as his eyes welled up with tears. I told him to run to the bathroom so he jumped up and ran out of the room. Thank the Lord he made it to the bathroom.

The people here have taken us under their wing. We have had many dinner invitations over the past couple weeks which means a lot of amazing American food- fried chicken, spaghetti, chocolate cookies (yay!). These things have made me feel so at home!

Today Kate and I took some time to explore our little community by going to Parque de la Paz (Park of Peace). It is this beautiful park with a couple ponds, picnic areas, and a hill known for its kite flying winds. Kite venders are set up around the park and people just come there and fly kites. So fun! I wanted to buy one, but perhaps I'll do that another day.










I promise to be better about posting! Thanks so much for your prayers and support!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I am so glad you finally did an update!! I love reading your blog and what you are doing. It sounds so much fun and I am so happy that you are enjoying it. It helps me to keep you in my prayers. Your pictures are so nice too. Keep up the good work!! What a great experience!!!
Becky Thurman

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimmie,
Godliness with contentment is great gain. I'm glad it doesn't take much to make you happy. I'll make sure to have M+M's waiting for you.
Kim, you could surprise me with
a colorful kite from Costa Rica as
my souvenir.
In my prayers always.

Love, Dad