Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fun Times, Trick or Treaters, and a Lot of Rice

Buenas! This week has been packed with cultural experiences and Spanish practice...always a good thing! Sunday we had a combined birthday fiesta for Tricia and Kim V at the neighbor's house. We ate Tres Leches cake (delicious!) and spoke lots of Spanish with our Tico neighbors. Monday Tricia and I spent the evening at Carlos and Clara's house practicing conversational Spanish. It was so fun! On Tuesday us girls had another fiesta at Kim V's Tico family's house for her birthday. We ate lots of pizza, some chocolate cake, and basically made fools of ourselves in front of her Tico family. They loved us (we know this because they invited us over again!). We even played the Spanish version of Scrabble! Wednesday and Thursday were low key...lots of planning and work to get done. However, I did complete my garden and it looks beautiful! It has been my project these last few weeks.

Friday was, of course, Halloween. While not much celebrated in Costa Rica some of the gringo families were ready for a taste of home. So the children dressed up and went to Halloween parties at each others' houses. Some even stopped by to trick or treat at our house. :) (My students are Batman and the gypsy)

This weekend was a good one. It is an amazing feeling to go to bed without setting the alarm for 5: 15 in the morning. Gracias a Dios for days to sleep in! After the feria on Saturday us girls hopped on a bus and headed to Moravia, a small town right out side San Jose that has tons of artisan stores. We explored the shops and got a head start on Christmas shopping. I bought some beautiful things and it was great to get out of San Jose for a bit! On the way back we stopped in downtown San Jose for some more shopping and sight seeing. We are getting to know our way around the city fairly well now which makes it much less intimidating. We ended the night with some Chinese food and a grocery store run.

Today I learned how to cook Costa Rican food! Clara had us girls over for a cooking demonstration. We made arroz con pollo, ensalada de papa, and arroz con leche. Steve and Diane came over to enjoy the feast with us. Everything was delicious! I was very proud of myself for a whole day of Espanol and being a real Tica in the kitchen.

It is crazy for me to think that I fly out November 28. It is certainly coming quickly and this makes me very sad. Around the 2 month mark is just about when you start to really feel comfortable and really start to deepen friendships...and now I am leaving in a few weeks. No bueno. Please pray for me as God makes the future clearer. Because right now, I have no idea where He is going to take me. :)

PS- I forgot to mention that we redecorated the house and hung up Christmas lights! It is looking to homey and festive over here! (and perhaps a little ghetto, but we do the best we can...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim, That food looks great!! Please cook for us when you come home!? I'm glad you've been able to practice your Espanol. I tried praying with a spanish lady tonight, at church. I said a couple of sentences. I hope they made sense to her.
Your garden is very pretty!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I agree with your Mom. Your garden is so nice and let me know when you are cooking your "spanish" food. I would love to come. LOL!!! This month will fly by so enjoy it all. I am sure God will reveal his will in his time!!!
Becky
PS- just keep praying......